1. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: If it has stats... (Challenge to the playground)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    -snip-
    Yay, thanks! I'm really happy to know that my little thinking outside the box wasn't in vain, even if that way it'd be mutually assured destruction

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Mystia's Lich: Body destroyed while scattering phylacteries. When he comes back to life he's destroyed again before he can take actions. The phylacteries are not destroyed.
    I see, that'd be quite a sad end for the lich, eternal death and rebirth!
    But this leads me to wonder, can the creature "multitask", or would it be unable to move on in it's list, since the Lich wasn't really eliminated yet?
    It probably is able to, but my last try gave me an idea...

First, a really simple attempt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redacted this out, nevermind it, OP!

Alright, and then a really complex one, thinking with undead again:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Loredrake Spellstitched Dragonwrought Kobold Dracolich
    Sorcerer 6/Tainted Scholar 10
    (ECL totals at 20 I swear)
    Important feats: Craft Contingent Spell, Mother Cyst, Dragonwrought (ofc), Leadership, Quicken Spell
    Contingent spells: Greater Celerity (#1 - goes off whenever he's surprised), Greater Celerity (#2 - goes off whenever Foresights warns of an impeding threat), Greater Celerity (#3 - goes off when he is teleported against his will, after reaching the destination).
    Daily buffs always include Foresight and True Seeing, which last through the day (and possibly the month/year) thanks to his CL of "Yes".
    His phylactery is located in his lair - a crypt beneath an Red Dragon Cemetery (Dragon Cemeteries as Draconomicon, page 16), which he inherited from his former mentor and friend, a Great Wyrm Red Dragon.

Items in possession:
    - Handy Haversack
    - Metamagic Rod Quicken (Greater)
    - Custom item of Plane Shift, Greater
    - Mirror of Opposition with 1 charge left
    - Belt of Battle

Always standing somewhere nearby, is his Cohort, a 17th level Cleric of Nerull, still living and breathing.
    Buffs herself daily with Delay Death (Persisted via DMM), Favor of the Martyr (same), and Divine Power (as well).
    Has got Tolerancy and Diehard as feats (... yeah) and Divine Metamagic.
    Has got an Contingent Revivify up (via craft feat), because the dracolich values a living servant that can easily blend into society.
    Is Mind-Linked to the kobold dracolich.

Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Lich is extremely shifty, vindictive and suspicious of everyone, including his cohort. Thus, as soon as they met, he - as he does with everyone - inflicted her with a Necrotic Cyst, to ensure she'd never disobey his orders. Being an worshipper of Nerull, she even willingly accepted his "blessing".

Since he's a known sadist, a good part of his cohort's buffs are just meant to prevent an uneventful painful death. And since he's utterly paranoid, his contingencies are just to prevent his own uneventful demise at the hands of some pesky paladin of Pelor or Marut.

Certain night, just one second past midnight, he was complaining to his cohort about how despite he wearing his best clothes that day, no pesky adventurers showed up to try to slay him, and was wondering if he should go enslave the ghostly dragon that guards the cemetery again, since he's bored - when the door to his chamber creaks open.

One of his minions then reports to him with rumors about something killing high level adventurers. The prideful dracolich kobold takes offense - something killing his prey?? He snickers and shouts out loud "Hah, unless it's mighty Nerull or Pun-Pun himself, I shall take this as a challenge and defeat whatever that thing is!"

Step by Step:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as his Foresight warns him of impending danger, his contingency is triggered (or he gets surprised, which also means a contingency going off), granting him two full round actions that round.
    He then uses a quickened Greater Arcane Infusion to cast:
    - Necrotic Domination on his fool of a cohort, then ordering him not to do anything unless told to, and always willingly fail saving throws against him.
    - Magic Jar, in order to swap bodies with his cohort.(possession takes a full round action)

He then orders his enslaved cohort to prepare to cast a Miracle spell, using the exact wording he gives him, on his command.
    Then, he readies an action to Dispel his own magic jar, in order to swap back to his own body, should something damage or attempt to damage his 'current body', and to do so after said damage or attempt takes place.
    As soon as it happens (body stays alive, since he isn't taking any damage due to buffs), he's back at his 'own body', and the cohort as well.

<I'm unsure of what happens next, so I'm working based on assumptions, sorry>

I take it that now he is going to get stripped of class abilities and be teleported to Sigil.
    I - In case this does happens, once there, another contingency goes off, and he immediately also spends all charges in his Belt of Battle. Realizing he can no longer cast spells, he panicks, quickly fetches his Mirror of Opposition from his Handy Haversack, gets it to face his foe being, and activates it.
    I.a - Should the Mirror work properly and spawn a duplicate of the being, the Lich will stick around to watch the fireworks.
    I.b - Should it fail, he then uses his custom item to get back to his lair and orders his cohort to Miracle the utter annihilation, destruction and obliteration of X being, located in Sigil, at Y coordinates.

II - If he gets killed before being able to teleport back, he then immediately goes back to his phylactery (thanks to dracolich's immunity) takes possession of a Red Dragon corpse, and via Mindlink orders his cohort to cast the Miracle described at I.b .
    II.a - If he gets killed before seeing the location of the being (i.e. while it's still next to his cohort), he immediately takes possession of an Red Dragon corpse, and via Mindlink orders his cohort to cast the Miracle described above, but worded as the utter annihilation, destruction and obliteration of "the being that has just caused the destruction of <lich's name>'s body".
    II.b - If he gets "spawn-killed" and is unable to communicate with his cohort any further, the order (given after dispelling the Magic Jar) was for the cohort to Miracle "an activated Mirror of Opposition in front of the being that caused the destruction of <lich's name>'s body, facing said being" should he get destroyed.

Aand if somehow everything fails... I, I'll need some time to think.
    Last edited by Mystia; 2014-09-11 at 05:17 PM.