Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
The thread was only ever created based on the assumption that the original question was an insult and neither stumbling English, a poor translation or an inaccurate paraphrase or came in a context and a lot of people, most notably Reverent One, has been quick to say that Slovenia is literally irrelevant and therefore it's perfectly fair to compare it to Alabama, which is a rather heavy insult to Slovenians.
This is completely false. I have repeatedly stated that while some of you keep trying to turn this into a debate over political influcence, overall relevance, or what have you, my point remained purely in the sense of measuring someone's geographic knowledge and how easy one location is to locate than another.

For the record, this event occurred at an open press conference type of thing, where the athlete was talking to multiple reporters. There's no accusation of some conspriacy, just a reporter taking an opportunity to make a common jab at Americans.

Also,

For that matter, it is quite insulting not to even dignify comments about European customs surrounding sports and sports interviews with an answer, instead steadfastedly maintaining your posture of being picked upon in the face of it.
You mean like you did repeatedly in the face of my questions about the matter?

I'd say there's a difference between "lying there and taking it" and "descending to their level". A response along the lines of "no, I didn't have a chance to look it up" would have been perfectly acceptable, pretty much honest, maintained the moral high ground, and in no way made him look bad.
Not really, that's likely exactly what the reporter was looking for.