Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
Geographic knowledge is heavily shaped by political influence. Germany is substantially better known that Krasnoyarsk Krai, to the point where I don't think anybody in this thread had ever heard about the latter, which isn't to be confused with the city of Krasnoyarsk, until I searched wikipedia for an extraordinarily large Russian area. This is despite Krasnoyarsk Krai being roughly seven times the size of Germany. And this is completely to be expected, Germany is a distinct entity that matters and has had a huge influence, Krasnoyarsk Krai is an extremely thinly populated tundra and taiga. You cannot discuss geography without taking political developments and significance into account, they shape what's meaningful in a geographical sense. And Alabama doesn't even work in that sense as it is not a naturally occurring feature, but purely a creation of human politics. The rather boxy shape should have tipped you off, you don't get those in nature.
So you've demonstrated that political influence is not related to geographic noteworthiness, which fits with what I've been saying this whole time. But that's not the big deal right now, let's go back to your claim how I said "Slovenia is literally irrelevant". Maybe to you how much you remember where a country is located is related to how much you know about it, but that's not true for everyone. In my case for example, Germany is probably one of the European countries I'm most familiar with, and yet I still have some trouble finding it on a map compared to other European countries. Meanwhile, Italy I've been able to positively identify since I was child, because, you know, it's a boot, despite the fact that as much knowledge of it's history comes from playing the Assassin Creed games in the past few years as anything else.

So to be crystal clear, my interest in a country and my ability to care about it's people are not even tangentially related to how precisely I can place it on a map. I'd thank you not to make uncalled for personal attacks directly contrary to what I have said.

Even if Slovenia isn't important to you, it's important to Slovenians and they're just as real people worthy of respect as you are.
That goes without saying. Though given how little respect you have me, what with you saying I don't care about the entire population of a country because I don't think their country is easy to find on a map, that doesn't mean a lot coming from you.