View Single Post

Thread: Do you know where Alabama is?

1. - Top - End - #295
    Banned

Default Re: Do you know where Alabama is?

Showing some interest in your opponent outside of the match itself is a pretty common courtesy. It's like how you're expected to at least make some small talk about how the trip was and whether people are enjoying their stay at business meetings. Also, it's not a rhetorical parry or at least not a very well-thought out one. A simple "I'm sorry, I haven't gotten around to that" would be easier to do and had a much less defensive tone. Even if it actually was a trap, which I have a hard time believing, it would neatly sidestep it while also being what ordinary politeness say you do. It's the same as people telling you that someone you met is in a locally famous band and asking if you've heard about them, the polite thing is to say that you haven't if you haven't, not to be defensive about it because you think it's some kind of hipster wanting to suggest that you're too boorish to know them. Even if it was a hipster trying to do that.

And, honestly, no, nobody is going to have an easier time pointing out Krasnoyarsk Krai on a map than Germany unless they live there. Germany is more clearly labeled and you've seen a map of it and its shape and surroundings far more often. It's just how it goes. Not to mention, you're far more likely to know about Germany than Krasnoyarsk Krai in the first place.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2014-09-11 at 07:10 PM.