Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
Family heirloom cactus (not actuallya cactus) is dead. If you remember, it was declared dead this Christmas after the heating system had died at our family farm and indoor temperatures dropped below zero, but then we found two leaves which had miraculously survived the cold. We took it home to better care for it over summer, but to no avail. Either it couldn't stand the heat or the rains, or perhaps the root system was so damaged that it continued to deteriorate until it no longer could support the plant. With only half a centimetre left of green leaf left, I tried to replant it and supply it with lots of (cold) light, water (to compensate for its lack of roots) and carbon dioxide, but I was aware it was probably all a futile effort as I'm not schooled in emergency gardening. It kept deteriorating, slowly losing its little remaining colour, so today I decided to attempt a final drastic meassure and cut off the lower half to put it on a paper soaked with water and nutrients, thus bypassing the need for roots entirely. It was too late, though, because when I put the knife to it, it tore apart and revealed to already have rottened through, so now its officially dead, not just inevitably dying.

To be honest, I am a little sad about this. I have a tendency to grow attached to objects with history, and this plant was around a hundred years old by our estimates...
You can't take a "stickling"?