1. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces: Path of War Expanded

I really want an initiating investigator that trades alchemy for maneuvers and somehow incorporates inspiration and/or studied combat into is maneuver shenanigans.

Spoiler: pisonic stuff
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    You can do that with psionics. You don't have to do that with Path of War.
    I just don't see it. It's literally just magic without material or somatic components, that's it. It has some fancy names and crystals taped up to it, but this earthshattering, setting breaking distinction you keep referring to simply doesn't exist as far as I can tell... because again, it's literally just magic.

Frankly, I don't see it for blade magic either, but between the two I'd say maneuvers and the concept of special, unique martial attacks are a greater deviation from the norm than psionics, especially when you start looking at the supernatural ones.

I'll simply restate that insisting that either "can't work in the setting" seems more like a smokescreen for some other issue than anything else, because neither are particularly disruptive unless you go out of your way to make them so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    It's not "swinging a sword well enough allows you teleport, heal and see through walls", it's "I'm trained in a school of martial thought that has taught me a magical technique that allows me to do these while swinging a sword".
    Ok, but why is that perfectly fine but "I'm trained in a school of magic that doesn't require gestures or components" so much less acceptable?

This probably needs its own thread though, it's getting offtopic.
    Last edited by squiggit; 2014-09-24 at 12:08 AM.