Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
Just watched the premiere and I really enjoyed it. Not perfect, but a solid beginning.

Spoiler: The Origin
Show
I've seen the Bruce Wayne origin story any number of times--comics, movies, seems like countless versions. This was the first time I actually felt a visceral empathy for Bruce. Not sure what it was about it--maybe that the thug aimed the gun at Bruce, or that his father had cooperated completely; I'm not a Batman connoisseur and don't recall the details from the movie versions.

But whatever it was…they really nailed it. A genuinely powerful opening sequence.
Spoiler: Movie versions
Show
In the first Batman, the killer (the Joker) pointed the gun at Bruce and seemed to debate killing him, but (iirc) was called away. But then the Burton films changed it from a random killing to a paid hit anyway.

In Batman Begins, Thomas cooperates and hands over his wallet calmly, but when Chill demands Martha's pearls and points the gun at her, Thomas steps in the way and is shot. Then Chill panics and shoots Martha too. (I watched the films very recently; I'd never previously appreciated that the pearls Selina Kyle steals from Bruce in TDKR aren't just "his mother's pearls" as he mentions when he catches her; they're the pearls she was wearing when she was killed and indeed the proximate cause of their death. I don't know what it says about Bruce that he had the necklace repaired then locked it in a safe.)

I haven't seen the Gotham version to compare them.