Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
It's not about the characters engaging in "dungeon-crawling murder-fests", it's about such activities being the beginning and end of the character. As in: no family, no goals (besides, loot, murder, and sometimes power for their own sake), no life, no interests, no hobbies or even preferences beside those which improve game-statistics, will not even consider any activity perceived to be detrimental to murdering (drinking the cheapest ale possible is a common exception to justify these characters hanging around bars for quests). The murderhobo is simply an angry statblock, given the bare minimum of fluff or backstory which his player can get away with.
I know, and I think your definition, or something very like it, is more appropriate. As long as your character has a well-considered reason to put themselves through hell the way they do, and is sufficiently believable and complex, I don't think they can reasonably be called a murderhobo. Sartharina, on the other hand, seems to disagree, and I'm curious about how her definition influences her gaming.