1. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    I do like point #1 in particular, neat that it can grant others wishes, but not it's own. However regarding the terms of the wish, the link on the SRD website you mention says this:
    I'm not sure that does fit well with what happened. I read what you said about him having to then ride a shark for ages... but I don't think that is causing "Pain and Suffering in the World"... Perhaps you can hand wave it away by saying "Oh, but MitD is a reformed Glabrezu who isn't evil"... maybe.
    Yeah, I've seen the description of the Wish vary a bit in different places. At least one source (though I don't remember which one), described the Wish as more along the lines of, if it wasn't a wish for a clearly evil purpose it would be fulfilled in a way that resulted in trouble. There was an example of a blacksmith wishing for great talent and success. As soon as the wish was fulfilled, the local lord (a cruel psycho) immediately hears how great the smith is, captures the smith, and makes the smith only work for him.

I mean, that's bad and all, but its a little underwhelming as far as "evil twists" go (as opposed to something like turning the smith's children into the hammers he had to use, requiring him to heat his forge with human souls, or something else really dreadful). Spending a few weeks riding a shark felt like a reasonably decent comparison.

It does back-handedly suggest the Glabrezus are perhaps the "B" team when it comes to cleverly manipulating and corrupting people.

Glabrezu: "And while I will grant your wish to become master of all things cold, you phrased your wish poorly and there will be an EVIL PRICE TO BE PAID!"

Wishing Person: "OH NO! WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Balor: (nods approvingly)

Glabrezu: "You must eat Popsicles until you get a cold-headache to fuel your power! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

Wishing Person: "Um... yeah, ok."

Balor: (facepalm)
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-10-01 at 01:35 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan