Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
By your word, sure. But you're reducing a complex interactive relationship down to several words and calling it done. That's bad. You're removing the complexity that makes the issue worth considering. I've met many people who get very caught up and invested in canonicity and validity but who also can and do, as you say, drink the [sic]Cool Aid.

Canon is not that complex.

Whoever owns the fiction gets to decide what is canon. If the owner is the creator, or a fan, then they might keep the canon pure and true to whatever vision they think is right and correct at any one time. If the owner is anyone else, chances are they only care about money.

If your a fan at home, canon does not really matter: if you like something, then you do and if you don't like something you don't. Only a couple of die hard zealots will only view only canon, it does not matter to most others. If an average fan sees the book ''The Trial of Boba Fet'', they might pick it up and read it. If they like it they don't really care that if ''someone somewhere'' says ''that book is not real and never happened''.

And some fans like canon as they then feel they know the real and true story about the fiction. Except that the owner can change anything on a whim. So a fan can know something is one way for twenty years, and then that ''someone somewhere'' can just change it. And on top of that, most fiction is fast and loose at best. Any writer/creator/producer can just make or add anything, often without knowing or even caring about what has gone before. A lot of canon won't exactly match up, without a lot of work.

So does it matter? Han Solo, my view of Han Solo, is a cool killing scoundrel character. The kind of person who shoots first under the table when he feels threatened. Now the canon says that Han Solo is a space cop(and by ''cop'' I'm saying he is a person who, for no good reason, follows the rules that all cops on any cop show must follow, like they can never shoot first.) with a heart of gold, the type who only shoots to kill in self-defense and only after being shoot at first.

So does it matter......no.