Quote Originally Posted by Starchild7309 View Post
Thank you for the input. The player in question is quite the rules lawyer. He questions much of what I do as a DM, some of it legitimately other times because things don't go his way. I think it stems from the fact that we have two different DMing styles where I am telling a story for their enjoyment, but their actions in the story have consequences. He runs a game, nothing happens thats not strictly written in rules somewhere. That being said, before I broach this subject with him I want to be able to have rules and such backing my opinion that he did violate his code.

While I understand that a tyrant does not run for mayor in normal circumstances, he convinced the "mob" he was better for the job. They elected him (a series of diplomacy checks and the like). The only reason he did this was to establish himself for the purpose of making the village his gathering place for his followers from leadership. At the time this occurred election occurred he was about 7th lvl and is currently 14th. The town had people in it that could stand against him then, but now he is so overpowering that they have decided to flee than live under his rule. My only real hang up is the town advising council gave him a set of written laws to review. He signed a document saying he would uphold them and took a vow to do so "to whichever Gods you worship" that he would uphold those laws. In not arresting the other PC for murder (with about 150 witnesses) he is in a sense breaking the law by not upholding his vow.
So, you're going into this with the intention of him violating his code?

In my opinion, he didn't violate his code of conduct. He punished those who didn't respect his authority, (aka, the caster) and was trying to beat his opponent who wouldn't be a fit mayor. This is the part where he kills the council and rules as a tyrant.