View Single Post

Thread: Why ban alignments?

1. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Why ban alignments?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    I say you should enjoy the "work" part of it or you really shouldn't do it.
    I'll do it if we can be the good guys. If not, it stops being enough fun to be worth the work.
    I run games because I like creating things. If someone wants me to create something different than I originally intended, then I take their idea and make it awesome.
    The problem is, what if I don't like what they want me to create?

So your logic is that since you created the campaign world, you get to say what happens in it. Ok. That's reasonable. The same logic also dictates that since the players create the characters, they get all the say over what the characters are (mechanics permitting), including alignment.
    Yes, except for the fact that the alignment issue was brought up in recruitment. If it was unacceptable, they could have not joined.

"But," you say, "That alignment is affecting in my campaign world, and so I can control it!" Yes and no. Character alignment certainly affects your campaign world, which you created and therefore by your logic have power over. But alignment is also part of the character the player created, and by your logic he has power over. As a conflict of two jurisdictions I believe that the solution should be for both parties to work together and find a solution.
    It affects my game, not the campaign world. I recruited for a game of selfless heroes, and said up front it was a game of selfless heroes when you joined, and you brought a mercenary that only cares for money. If you don't want to play a selfless hero, don't try to sign up for a game about selfless heroes. I don't find that reasonable.