I find there are two aspects of social mechanics that determine whether I like them or not. The One Ring is fine for both, far as I can tell. The first is how often they come up in any given scene; if most social interaction can be done without dice, but certain special actions require them, that's fine, whereas when I tried Exalted a while back, it really bothered me how pretty much everything you say in conversation is tied to a die roll. The other thing I don't like is when die rolls determine a character's reaction to something, rather than just the action of the speaker. D&D's Diplomacy rules, at least as I've always used and understood them, determine nothing but how eloquently and persuasively the speaker makes their point, leaving the listener still technically free to react however is appropriate, though they're more likely to respond well. Exalted also rubbed me the wrong way by having die rolls force characters to react a specific way to social attacks with no room for variation.