Hint: Tzocatl isn't a skill. A Tzocatl check is d20+1/2 class level+Int. Much more controllable values, which makes edicts have much more easily definable emphases and cadences.

I originally had it as a Linguistics check, but the values were just too unpredictable and ran into the same problems that the Truenamer has. So the advocate isn't really like the Truenamer: it's more like a warlock with Tome of Battle and psionics elements.

Edicts always go off, no matter your check result. Their scalability is based off your check, and you get to build your spell as you cast by spending your check on cadences or keeping it for emphases (or some combination of the two). Litanies are...functionally identical to stances, except their effects vary based on your Tzocatl check made at activation. And both edicts and litanies have esoterica, individual per edict, that advocates gain through their levels, which allows you to dynamically customize your character based both upon their known edicts and then the esoterica they learn from those edicts.

I haven't even gotten into Inscribed Barbarians and Inscribed Cryptics yet. Or the race template I came up with. Or the fighter archetype that integrates seamlessly with Lore Warden. Or all kinds of stuff.