1. - Top - End - #327
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: What was your worst DM ever? This thread is impervious - roll to disbelieve!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    Snip
    Gah. Even though the DM asked for it and proved unable to even check the rules when things started going sour, I still feel for that guy. In MRQII, so no helpful tier system etc, I once lost a player as he had created a very strong character while another created a very weak one. I don't particularly like how damage plays out in MRQII (I don't particularly like MRQII to be precise) so I hadn't chosen how much damage the fire trap would do. Of course, both triggered it. If the damage had been chosen to be a fair challenge to the guy, then the other PC would die, unable to soak such damage. The problem got worse when the player of the strong (maybe not optimized, but strong) character chose to stand his ground and take the hit, while the other one ducked for cover. Looking at the situation, I felt justified to have two separate damage rolls, since that on one hand trying to dodge and duck for cover would be better than just plain defending one's ground, and on the other I felt that no, you don't stand in the middle of a firetrap unharmed.

That peculiar incident plus some zombies which wouldn't die when you killed them, their severed body parts would fall and need to be destroyed independently... Which are legit MRQII monsters by the way, only from a official supplement on necromancy he didn't know about. Caused him to leave the campaign he thought, maybe rightly so, that he knew the rules better than me and since he didn't know such monsters then I was obviously out to get him and he thus left the campaign.

The fact that he was the only male player might have played a role.

Well, anyway, I probably was his worst DM so it's still pretty relevant to the thread.

Ps: If only fallout2 had stronger of weaker fights depending on your level... No wait actually, scratch that, level sensitive encounters are not a really good idea
    Last edited by Alberic Strein; 2014-10-19 at 06:09 AM.
    I'm here to kick ass and call you names... And I'm not very witty.