Hi all.

Yesterday I asked for help building a new, level 2 character with a 28pt buy and set books of Core, Complete, Races, Frostburn, Sandstorm and Stormwrack.

I suggested Druid and Barbarian and while the resounding answer was Druid, the only build I got was Soranar's build below.

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
looks to me like you need a lot of help.

Druid could literally fil every role you need

his animal companion is a decent meatshield

pretty SAD (single ability dependent)

should be noted that higher tier classes are less affected by lower point buy (28 pts is enough for a wizard or a druid while 48 pts seems less than you need on a paladin or a monk)

So, the druid

Due to the books allowed, I'd go with this

Race: Mongrelfolk
Alignment: neutral good
Template: dragonborn of bahamut (pick whatever aspect you prefer)

STATS

STR 8 (dump)
DEX 14
CON 20
INT 12
WIS 16 (main stat, gets every increase)
CHA 4 (dump)

animal companion : riding dog (war trained for access to amor proficiencies and trip attacks)

Make two of these and you're set

you get 2 support spellcasters (access to healing , summons and battlefield control spells)
you get 2 meatshields (riding dogs)

you two should be able to handle just about everything by yourselves

I pumped your CON like crazy (mongrelfolk + dragonborn) just to help you increase your survivability until you hit wildshape

And I love it. But I have questions. Lots of them.

First up, how am I supposed to get 2 animal companions?! I thought I only got one. Please explain this.

Second, Soranar seems to suggest I can use my dogs as spellcasters. Isnt that only familiars? I can share my buffs with them but as far as I know they cant cast heal spells for me on my friends. Which is fine, but I am confused by his suggestion.

Feats. I have no idea. None. Never built a caster before. Let alone one like this. What do I take?

Last game I played, someone had a druid that could "recall spells" into their head to use again. How the hell do I do that? Google has all the wrong answers.

Spells. Well, at level 2, and with those stats, I get 3 first level spells per day. I was thinking if I take a quarterstaff then at least one of those is Shillelagh. Then just because of how I play I would probably go for Entangle rather than produce flame, but I would have it as an option along with cure light (though I hope to take create water and purify for 2 of my lvl 0s because we are on an island and currently our cleric is far too hesitant about getting rid of them with his heal spells, resulting in no healing from him. If I take them instead, he can convert them without worry. Rather than purify, goodberry may be better too). What do you think? Agree?

Any other ideas? I would ask Soranar (and in fact have) but his activity seems sporadic at best so I doubt I will get any reply soon.

Thanks guys.