1. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: What is the lamest prestige class concept (to you)

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Ranger wouldn't give Skirmish progression. Scout wouldn't get full BAB or good Fortitude save. Also, why can't a character just, you know, take track as one of their normal feats to meet the prereq? It's not like we need to make every feat a bonus feat, especially on the Scout, which isn't a hugely feat-starved class. Of course, the full BAB and one-feat tax aren't really worth it, since you trade away more from Scout than you get back from Highland Stalker, and Ranger entry is just as much of a drop down. A swift hunter could do with a two-level dip for Mountain Stride and the +1d6 skirmish, though (this would let them end up with +6d6/+4 instead of +5d6/+5 by 20th level).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Wilderness Rogue who takes the Track feat says hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    I was gonna mention Highland Stalker too, but at one point I realized that the class was intended for PCs that existed prior to the release of Complete Adventurer. If you are a Ranger who wanted to have Skrimish after Skirmish became a thing, but didn't want to lower your BAB too much, Highland Stalker is the class for you to take.
    Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that it would be impossible to take, but that the return upon investment is not worth it at all, especially since it could require multiclassing. Even the first individual I quoted recognizes that the Highland Stalker returns less than you give up by giving up levels of Scout, and the Swift Hunter is a Ranger/Scout already, in order to take the feat.
    That Ranger who wants to get some Skirmish? He'd have to multiclass into Scout (or Rogue) *anyway* in order to take this prestige class.
    That Wilderness Rogue? It can already get Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight as part of its progression.

I just don't see the gain from this prestige class, when most of what it gives you is "stuff" you need to have to get to it, or "stuff" you will already get anyway - as a Scout or Ranger.

It's like a recipe that calls for a pot of boiling water, and then tells you to cook water in the boiling water.
    (alternate: It's like a prestige class for a wizard or sorcerer that requires a martial ability and a weapon proficiency, as well as high ranks in a few skills, and in return it gives you an arcane spellcaster's list you already had, and two spells you didn't.)
    Last edited by Denver; 2014-11-06 at 02:08 PM.