Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
I like prestige classes to be more rounded and give attack, defense and utility powers. And the powers need to scale with levels and not be too limiting. And powers need to be a mix of mundane and magic. And a lot of powers just make no sense for their level...like death arrow.

Assassin Again great fluff, but only a little useful crunch. Death attack is ''ok'', but they could sure use more abilities like Impromptu Sneak Attack like the arcane trickster has. Dodge and poison use are ''ok'', but nothing exciting. And hide in plain sight is nice enough, but it comes way, way late at almost 20th level. And the spells are a bit....eh. Well, I do like the idea of a ''spell assassin'', I kinda don't like the ''every single assassin in the world is a spellcaster'' bit. It just does not fit the class. And the assassin is missing a ton of other abilities that could be very useful to an assassin: skill bonuses, supernatural magic defenses like nondetection, some type of advanced disguise ability and maybe most of all: some type of scaling attack ability so they can still assassinate things past 10th level or so.

Blackguard Again great fluff and idea....and not so much crunch. Detect good, poison, blessing, aura, command, servant and spells are a good start......but then they get little else. Sneak attack is very odd and does not scale well. Getting +1d6 damage at 10th level is just a joke. And '''smite foe'' or some type of more unique ability might have worked so much better. And after 5th level...the class is blank except for a couple of improvements. They just forgot to add anything high level.
I enjoyed combining Assassin with Dragon Disciple, putting two classes together that were meh on their own.