Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
My point is that CR 1/4 creature is permanently going to be a CR 1/4 creature. With 3.5e I can have that CR 1/4 creature be a viable threat from first level to 20th. So I don't see having CR 1/4's at 5th level as impressive or a benefit in anyway. Just makes it seem like things are weaker overall if a level one commoner is a threat to a 5-7 level character.
Thanks. I was really having trouble understanding where some of y'all were coming from. I really don't consider making a new, different creature the same as being able to use something from the Monster Manual for longer. I mean, sure, you can see the evolution from a baseline goblin or kobold or whatever, but by the time you add three class levels you may as well just ignore the whole goblin part.

Oh, and I know it's just an off-the-cuff remark, but a commoner isn't even a threat against a level 1 character.

Really, what it comes down to is that a low-level combatant is going to be able to hit you with a good dice roll pretty much all the way through your character's life, while you won't be certain of hitting it (ALWAYS). It gets harder as you level, sure. But the attack bonuses and ACs don't explode like crazy. You'll be able to take more hits, and flat-out kill with less effort, but you won't be able to just sit back and laugh as your 30+ AC ignores the goblin attacks.