Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
The actual method of transmitting the data from out the black hole was quite nice, even if it felt as if at that point, they'd just given up on being even remotely realistic with the science.
There's no such thing as "remotely realistic with the science" when you're talking about the inside of a black hole. Not only can you (obviously) not observe what's in there in any shape or form, but most attempts to calculate or derive what's in there end up about as sensical as what the movie went with.

I was waiting the part where he starts stretching and disappointed when it didn't happen, though. That's one of the few things you can safely say would happen in some shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
Actually, the best part about the Blight was one hilarious throwaway line. It breathes Nitrogen instead of Oxygen. One of the most stable molecules out there, which needs tremendous amounts of energy to split up.
Don't forget the part where depleting the Earth's nitrogen somehow makes the oxygen go away too. The astrophysics in this movie? By far the most accurate we'll likely get for a very long time. The chemistry and biology? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
It's supposed to be supermassive, IIRC. The problem is that the spinning material has to come from somewhere, and gargantua doesn't have a companion star. Even if it did, the companion would probably be consumed in a few million years (though I suppose that's long enough for terraforming purposes.)
The accretion disk could be all that's left of the companion star, though I couldn't tell you how it would get into an approximately-stable orbit like the one shown.