Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
If they are not big on pre-made backstory then just add some back story on the fly as the game progresses.

for example;

DM: As you are leaving the market a familiar voice calls out to (Player A) from the crowd, it's some one from your past....who?
Player A: What?
DM: Who is this person from your past?
Player A: What do you mean?
DM: What is this persons relationship to you, who are they?
Player A:... er.. an old friend?!?
DM: Excellent! Whats their name?
Player A: ... er ... Dave?
DM: Yes! its Dave your childhood friend! But you haven't seen him in since the Event! so... what was the even Player A?
Player A: er...i... i don't know... um... when Orc's attacked?
DM: Ahh yes! since the Orc warhost swept through your homeland! "(Player A)!" exclaims Dave, "I had heard that you were dead?!?" Dave looks genuinely pleased to see you....

and off you go from there.

You haven't tried to force them into sitting down and coming up with a solid background. They suddenly have a chunk of back story that wasn't there before. It was done in game so they are more likely to remember it. They might realize that back stories aren't so hard to come up with. And best of all, your game is suddenly a bit more three dimensional then it was a moment ago.
Or if your players are the kind who may resent being placed on the spot, I've found that many don't really mind if you go ahead and invent something for them.

"A familiar voice calls out to you and you see a familiar face. It turns out to be Mark! You remember him from wrestling school, you used to have a signature move the two of you would preform in tag team matches though it's been ages since you last shared a stage."

If the player wishes they can help fill in details from there (why they haven't seen mark in so long, what the signature move is) but they're not necessary details and it doesn't really matter if they don't want to/can't think of anything for it.