Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
If they're so "free willed" - which I don't necessarily agree with - that would be evidence against your prior statement, "Vampires usually kill for food, and kill humans because they are readily available(convenience) or particularly tasty(subcategory of entertainment). There's no reason a vampire would go after you, personally, if there are tastier or easier to get humans around."
The word "usually" indicates a general propensity, not an inviolable law. Example: dwarves usually use axes and hammers rather than swords and spears. Note how dwarves still have free will, despite this propensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
Regardless, there is not enough evidence for you to make the claims you're making in this post either. There isn't enough data on Durkula yet, likely on purpose for the story. Malack worshiped death - literally - even though Giant was also hiding the fact of him being undead from the readers on purpose. And Xykon... well, even if he was the exact same before undeath it wouldn't prove your point. It would only demonstrate insufficient evidence if I was trying to prove something by his actions (which, for the record, I'm not.)
If Xykon was exactly the same before undeath, it would mean that being undead does not inherently cause a compulsion to kill the living. Since that is my point, it totally would prove it.

Malack worshiped Nergal, a god of Death and Destruction, not death itself. Note that a cleric can worship a cause-if Malack wanted to worship death directly, he could have. We also know that Malack had extended contact with the Vector Legion, and there are no indications that he ever tried to kill any of them. This again suggests no particular compulsion to kill the living.

While we haven't spent much time with Durkula, we have actually been inside his head. Even there, we see no evidence of murderous compulsions or non-human thought processes.