Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
I recently wrote a class called the Battle Lord for Amora Games. I gave pre-built characters to my group with their roles written in where the class title would normally be, so they had a Scout, Medic, Soldier, and Artillerist in the group. No one found out until after the playtest that they were all playing different paths of the same class. They kept thinking I was writing a bunch of new classes using some undisclosed power source :P

Similarly, my fiancee once played an archer Sohei with a pegasus mount and introduced herself to the group as a "scout". Everyone in the group thought she was a Ranger for like 4 levels (we started at level 7, I believe) until a barghest barbarian shattered her bow and pulled her off her mount, forcing her to throw out a flurry of unarmed strikes during her attempt to escape. Our friend Steve looked at her and asked "You took a feat for Improved Unarmed Strike for your Ranger?" and she tells him "Monks get it for free." His perplexed look was kind of priceless.

I also played a "drow priestess" once who was actually a Summoner with the Spider Summoner feat and an eidolon designed to look and play like a yochlol (lots of tentacles).

Long story short, I've always found it's more helpful for players to introduce their characters by what they do, rather than by what class they picked to do it with.
That's absolutely wonderful. Oh man.