I've been DM'ing for a while, and as much as I love High Fantasy, I'm running out of ways to try to destroy the world. I've had a Warrior-Lich kill an Empire with a magical plague, a world warped by the Far Realm try to pull a Majora's Mask, and the Cult of Elemental Evil try to free Tharizdun. Twice.

It's been loads of fun, but I'm ready for something different. I'm thinking Heroic Fantasy- the classic, Gygaxian genre of selfish anti-heroes and decadent cities. 4E provided the beautiful imagery of "a grim, hulking fighter disemboweling the high priest of the serpent god on his own altar. A laughing rogue spends his ill-gotten gains on cheap wine in a filthy tavern." That's the vibe I'm looking for.

Now, my group isn't that into dungeon crawls- they get bored if it's much more than 10 rooms. So, the classic megadungeon with a "minimum of twelve floors" the ancient 0E booklets call for is pretty much out of the question. I'm tempted to try my hand at running something with kingdom building, but at the same time, I'd like to try having one central city the players spend most of their time in. I've also always wanted to try something with dual-world gameplay (think Metroid Prime 2's Dark Aether.) Maybe I can do all three?

I figured I'd ask the people of the worldbuilding forum for a hand. Any tips or ideas on capturing that classic, sword-and-sorcery feel? Any plot ideas that fit within the genre? And while we're at it, has anyone tried the dual-world thing?