Quote Originally Posted by Amnoriath View Post
1. Astral Constructs, the health isn't really what bothers me. Remember those constructs become huge size with that base damage and they effectively competed with Uberchargers and/or martial initiators. So, the size factor alone restricted where you could grow them all the way. In 5e you don't nearly have those kind of damage numbers any more. If you get only a few upgrades you have what is equivalent to a Paladin's smite every attack. As for the AC keep in mind that it won't grow much at all from that and they have a shield which is at the expense of damage output. I also didn't factor in any possibilities for items, upgrades, or share spell type abilities.
2. You use your action to command them anyway and your attacks with a weapon aren't at all going to compare what your robot or even your gadgets do.
3. One I can think of right away is adding your proficiency bonus to any dexterity or intelligence based check dealing with mechanical objects. I also believe that the Encapsulate ability could be used as a subclass on its own. As for another maybe look towards being more gadget focused.
Thanks for the feedback, I think that is an important fact to keep in mind, the Mech cannot be upgraded with magical items, armor weapons etc. To gain more durability they have to choose menu options that take away from the offensive choices. Instead of following the Construct damage progression of 1d8 small, 2d8 medium and 3d8 large I can trade it 1d10 small, 2d6 medium, and 2d6 +1d4 for large. it lowers the average damage per hit by about 5 or so but keeps the damage equal in terms of what other players can achieve. I also think it's worth noting I intentionally left the Power Attack features and action surge features off the menu items so melee classes will always have the option to do more damage. I've also reduced the Huge construct to Large at upgrade 9.

As far as archetypes I was thinking of playing around with Encapsulate being the capstone for one arche type, and the Eldritch Knight's cast a spell, make 1 attack as the arche types cap stone. Only it's use one gadget, and instruct your mech to make 1 attack. I could use the level 7 Eldritch Knight ability as another class feature, you can use either the gadget Freeze Ray or Blunderbuss (cantrips) and instruct your mechanical companion to make 1 attack. But I haven't changed anything yet in the document until I can get home and make sure no one is getting class features ahead of anyone else.