1. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Introduces: Akashic Mysteries

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    yeah, I know; I feel that if I see abilities marked red on a guide, that the playtest system has failed in those regards. They slip through because unlike their equally broken I-win button cousins, nobody talks about them because nobody used them in the playtest. Any red ability should be errataed and changed to at least a situational ability in time for the next printing and on the SRD, in most cases.
    The thing with the akasha system is that, much like incarnum before it, it's very friendly to multiclassing and while it might be orange or red for the class the guide is focused on, it might be much better on another chassis. There are veils and feats in Akashic Mysteries that were specifically written with the intent that they be used with multiclass characters, or even characters who just wanted to access them via feats. They still need to belong to at least one of the class' veil lists though. Others are mediocre on their own but much more impressive when combined with other veils; for example, Polar Snowshoes is really so situational that I've considered issuing an errata for it a few times (and still might) but it can be combo'd up with Gorget of the Wyrm to make all of your allies effectively immune to its negative effects while pumping out a decent amount of cold damage at no cost in action economy. And while cold damage may be the most commonly resisted element in the game, you're still talking about limitless, no action required damage that you can crank out round after round on top of whatever else you decide to do, and it'll still affect 4 out of every 5 monsters you meet (unless you happen to be running a themed campaign where the main creature type has cold resistance/immunity). The Vizier can also stack his Light Whip into the mix to trip-lock enemies inside the aura to make sure they keep getting hammered by it. So the only red veil on his list still complements several of his other abilities very nicely and can be situationally quite potent.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-12-08 at 05:56 PM.