Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Ok, fair enough, stats increasing is a new thing. But it is a thing, and it's still not clear how you can feasibly increase luck without magic. I can pump iron or juggle or run cross-country or study or meditate or learn etiquette, sure, but how do I make myself luckier? The only real way to get better at, say, games of chance is to lower the amount of chance involved.
Eh, you just surround yourself with four-leaf clovers and rabbits feet. And nail up those horseshoes (with the ends pointing up so the luck doesn't drain out).

I mean, it's not like luck is a real thing, so naturally, there's no real way for a fictional thing to increase.

But, in the real world, it's not like a grown adult tends to actually be able to get smarter. A person might learn more things, but they're not going to become more intelligent. Realistically, people's stats don't make much in the way of changes after a certain point. If you're not the sort of person to exercise, you are unlikely to become such a person. And realistically, there's often a trade-off. If you're exercising in your free time, then you're not reading as much as you used to, so your intelligence should go down. Or if you're a muscle-bound hero who starts reading a lot, then you're not exercising as much, so your strength should go down.

But I haven't see any game systems where your stats can decrease from non-use.

So, if there's any argument about realism regarding ability scores in any game system, I would find that to be very strange.