View Single Post

Thread: Eating healthy help?

1. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Eating healthy help?

Yes, you are correct about the manure. That is because we use virtually all of our manure already. The agricultural product consumed by lifestock is a moot point right now too. Not only do we produce plenty already, but we produce enough to feed places in the world that do not. There are about a dozen things we need to do in order to reduce our environmental impact before we start worrying about ranching. Nevermind that human agriculture hasn't exactly been good for the environment either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Changing bean type and fermenting them (e.g. tofu) vastly improves the protein:carb ratio to 5:1, which is far higher than you need. And if you're body building you pretty much have to supplement anyway, so why not use soy protein powder?
    Because when you start supplementing with soy, here comes the estrogen. The only athletes using soy are the ones who can't consume whey for whatever reason.

It can work, but you run the risk of developing undesirable effects from the estrogen. Using concentrated soy protein is the worst way to use soy as an athlete. You also need to supplement with BCAAs and other compounds for you body to use that soy efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Again, I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, but with careful nutrition it is possible for pretty much everyone to go to a vegetarian diet. Which shouldn't be surprising given that people of all walks of life (peasant to soldier, not just ascetics) who follow religions originating in India have vegetarian lifestyles and gladiators (at least in Ephesus) ate almost no meat.
    Those were matters of availability in ancient times. I am not saying that present peoples from all walks of life can't live on a vegetarian diet, obviously they do. But if I'm on patrol and come up on a whacked out junkie, I want the guy who eats meat and potatoes for a partner before the the guy who lives a vegan lifestyle.
    Last edited by Crow; 2015-01-01 at 02:09 PM.