Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
[Izumo, Japan]
(Kuzunoha Sanctuary - Meditation Room)

Katsuo's eyes are slightly widened in surprise as he's shunted out of his body, even with the warning. But... it doesn't take him long to calm, especially with Shaya's words. He was somewhat surprised by her insight and yet... not. He gives a nervous nod and smile like only he can deliver before responding.

"...I know it's silly, and that I should be more careful. More assertive of myself, but... even now, even when I'm fighting for something... I can't shake that feeling of worthlessness. That it'd be better if I were the one to take all the pain and punishment. That I should be the one to put my life at risk."

Spoiler: Kuroimaken Only!
Show
Making some guesswork here.
Spoiler: srsly, don't do it
Show
Shaya, depending on how used to interacting with powerful spiritual beings, may be overwhelmed by what she feels from Katsuo's 'heart'. There is a phenomenal well of strength, both existent and potential, behind the quiet, nervous boy. Something that he probably doesn't even know he could tap, that he could grow into at almost any time he was ready. Despite his lack of true spiritual pressure like most beings are capable of letting off, it is almost crushingly amazing. And yet uplifting in that way Katsuo has mastered.

...and yet, there was a point of worry. Even though his chain is not visible, Shaya may be able to feel that it is damaged in some way. Perhaps the links aren't broken, but they are cracked and bent out of place. That in all honesty, Katsuo probably should be dead. Or worse. And of course, for all his inspirational heart and strength, he could truly be terrifying if his chain were to break...
Shaya makes it a point to keep her face the kindest of smiles towards the boy. Her hands reach for his face in a way that is calm and comforting, much like a mother's.

"Yamada-kun. It's okay.

I understand the reasoning - if you're the one who gets hurt, then your friends don't. It's simple, and it works for you because you don't mind bearing pain and punishment if it feels like you will spare others that pain.

Still... have you paused to consider what seeing you get hurt does to the ones around you? They feel responsible in much the same way. In a different fashion, perhaps. But nonetheless, they hurt for you just the same.

There is no such thing as passing pain around. Pain hurts us all in equal measure. Physically or otherwise. Just because you can withstand punishment that would hurt others so much more doesn't mean it has to be only you.

When you get back, I want you to see Tobioka-sensei right away so he can see to ALL your wounds. Do you understand me?"