Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
I, for one, am sick of seeing nothing but male main characters. Particularly when they are scraping the bottom of the barrel to the point of doing an Ant-Man movie, yet don't give an interesting female character any screen time.

At this point, it's almost like they're saying, "Any male character, even a cipher like Ant-Man, is preferable as a focus for our resources than a female character."

That is not an acceptable viewpoint on the part of filmmakers, IMO.
So then you're putting up the $200 million dollars to see a property developed in a (traditionally) under-performing class of movie? Or is this list making some glaring omission that earned a bunch of money?

Or was in order the list really Katniss, Ahhnold, Angelina Jolie, and that Katniss clone from Divergent? I have to go down to number 7 (and already nothing money today) to reach someone that's even maybe an a good model for a superhero movie with Tomb Raider which is Angelina again. Should I dare to compare how with the superhero list?

I don't claim to like this at all... and there's some chicken-and-egg factor that nobody's done it so few try... but the simple fact is still that traditionally women are simply not action spectacle movie draws. Its been tried, its even been done halfway well, but its just not worth the same level of money. Blame America, not studios because they're the ones that generate those numbers. Studios are the ones that have to gamble on what America will give money too.

Now not all is lost because if nothing else... hey somebody put Katniss on that first list, anything with a female protagionist performing just as well (and on a healthier budget) as traditionally male helmed blockbusters is an important sign. Now "tween-lit" is probably not the most natural bridge but this so much better then it was even five years ago. It means the market IS THERE it just has to be tapped with the proper story and that somebody is willing to support leading ladies like they traditionally haven't

You've got something more directly applicable with Lucy on there I've oft seen described as a backdoor Black Widow movie, and its a budget smash success that did very well for a modest budget. So what happens you add a mega-budget, top rate marketing, and a conjure-with name like the Marvel brand?

I think my elevator pitch for a superheroine movie is a lot stronger then it was.

Course that will all depend on if the experiments being tried... actually working.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
No, what they're saying is that the idea of an Ant-man movie inspired certain individuals in the film-making business, and those individuals did a good enough job selling the idea to the high muckety-mucks to get them to fund it. Edgar Wright didn't sit around 12 years ago and go, "Hmm, what's a male superhero I can make a movie about?" He learned about Ant-man, and that happned to inspire the idea for a movie.

Also, Ant-man is really far from the bottom of the barrel. The orginal incarnation of Ant-man is a founding member of the Avengers even!
Also they've been selling it since well before depleting much of said barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
Yeah, bottom of the barrel would be someone like the Guardians of the Galaxy... oh wait!
You're referring to Yondu then? He was the only one obscure enough a lot of the comic nerds probably didn't realize unless they'd wiki'd the Guardians before hand.

Drax and Gamora are mainstays of cosmic Marvel for years now and when GotG (the comic that the movie is based on) was launched it was helmed by Star Lord who'd been busy being really awesome since Annihilation and its sequel Conquest so was ripe for it. Rocket and Groot had been dormant and obscure but had parts before in Conquest so were perfectly fine to round out a team. The result so help me was fairly well received. In general cosmic Marvel had been really awesome for year at the time I left comics so was ripe for mining ideas to turn into a movie.

Nothing bottom of the barrel from the comic nerd perspective at all.
The general public yeah easy joke, but the general public don't know how deep the barrel actually goes.

They greenlight Cloak and Dagger or Jack of Hearts and I'll still say we've got a way to go to reach Razorback and other such jokes. And on the Marvel end... yeah they're tapped basically for public awareness now anyways. Even the Avengers had a certain note of scraping deeper into the barrel because Marvel is (or was) Spidey and X-men.

One might argue that the MCU is seeing more success with reaching outside of public awareness, Iron Man was still on the A-list sure but I doubt I'd put him higher then the middle of said A-list.