View Single Post

Thread: Critical failure!

1. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Critical failure!

Hello, I'm a bit of lurker by nature and I've never posted an anecdote like this here, but here goes. *A-hemhem*

I run an old WoD mashup set in the world of True Blood. It's basically an excuse for my old roleplaying friends to take a break from grimdark scenarios run by people who take their gaming seriously and play those things they always wanted to but couldn't because a proper GM would deem it too silly. One of the characters is a Ceilican. For those who had better things to do with their youth than discover obscure kinds of shapeshifters in old Werewolf: the Apocalypse splatbooks, a Ceilican is a Scottish wildcat shifter.
    It's been in the news lately that the Scottish wildcat is in serious danger of extinction through, in part, interbreeding with house cats and so (I said it was a silly game) the player in question drew up a were-housecat; a big, black, long-haired, maine-coone-looking animal who found in his adolescence that he had the ability to change into a human being. He's extremely beautiful and very athletic (allowing him to parkour about the city like mad), but has the intelligence of a concussed rabbit, the attention span of a gnat and the flaw "Overconfident". His name is Fluffy. Fluffy Seagull-slayer.

Fluffy and Oswald (a lupus Silent Strider) were on the tail of a mysterious entity which was possessing people and leading them into situations where they were likely to die. Their inquiries led them to a council flat on the 9th floor of a tower block, where they discovered a paraplegic war veteran who'd learnt how to project his spirit from his body, Orpheus style, and was undertaking a roaring rampage of revenge. Tipped off by his carer that a pair of suspicious characters with very odd social skills were sitting in his living room asking strange questions, the vet decided to effect an escape by projecting and taking over one of a group of scratty teenagers who were hanging around in the car park outside the block. We have a house rule that cats can perceive ghosts and other wiggy things given a successful perception roll so Fluffy rolled, passed, spotted the shade of the vet passing the window and rushed out onto the balcony in time to witness the possession of the hapless teenager.

"I shout 'There it goes!' and jump off the balcony after it!" said Fluffy's player. It's his first time roleplaying and as you can see, he's taken to it like a duck to water.

I did remind him he was 9 stories up, but he maintained that if he shifted to Crinos (Fluffy treated the Litany as a collection of polite suggestions, and treated polite suggestions in general as you might expect of a cat) he could make the tallest of the trees growing in the car park. He was rolling fistfuls of dice for dex/athletics when in Crinos and he had that Daredevil merit which lowers your difficulty for pulling awesome but fundamentally unwise stunts, so I said he could go for it. He botched spectacularly, and the resulting spring from the balcony is best illustrated with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3tI2UZvIGk

Except picture, instead of a slightly tubby siamese, a 6 foot tall, fluffy-coated, half-man half-cat in flared jeans.

He landed in a Wile E. Coyote sort of way right in front of the teenagers. He was badly injured but not so much as to render him unconscious, which would have resulted in his returning to his breed form, and so these poor wee neds were confronted with a full-on Crinos form werecreature. I rolled for them on the Delirium table and ~ the icing on the cake ~ they all rolled 10s and instead of going berserk with fear, fleeing or collapsing into a fetal position they stared at Fluffy for a moment of surprise, then whipped out their phones and started taking pics and filming. The possessed one got away.
    Last edited by DeadLands Dev; 2015-01-15 at 08:40 PM.