View Single Post

Thread: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

1. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Why do the free games have limited spots?
    So that players will be able to play free games, especially after losing/spending all their money, but also have a major incentive to join the pay-to-play games.

The free games are daily events which are advertised and have storytelling associated with them, which liven up the phase and make things visibly festive and enjoyable.

But more than that, volunteering for these events is necessary for the story to continue.

At a certain point, volunteering for the events becomes a risky proposal.

Then, at a certain point, not volunteering for the events becomes an even riskier proposal.

There is a purpose behind it all. I will need someone to participate in some of the mini-games in order for the game to be proper, so I'll need some volunteers.

But again, there must be something which compels people to try the pay games, and if you can play any game you want without paying, there's little incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Also, when/where do you plan to host it (I think you said the org previously)?
    I am taking my time with the design, and it won't be hosted for sure until I and my co-host are completely satisfied with the design and that it will be fun for folks. That said, we've made a lot of progress discussing things.

Where to host: Well, here on Giant in the Playground would be fun, except this will definitely be disruptive. Not only to the established game queue, where others are waiting to host, but for other reasons. CFC is a very real option but the email notification system gives me an instant knowledge when someone is trying to comm with me about things and it creates a backup archive of all messages, and the inbox space is an issue, as it is here. The Org, inbox space isn't an issue... for me. But it could be for others.

The org is ideal out of those three candidates. And the server is more reliable than TWC.

That all being said, a very real option is Giraffe Boards.

The inbox space is enormous (30,000), the board works perfectly, and the head administrator, Giraffe, actually is an active gamer.

It's everything the Org offers, and just a tiny bit more.

If people aren't fundamentally opposed to the idea, Giraffe boards is the best bet. Unfortunately, that means more cross-board accounts for people and that's the main drawback.

Not everyone wants to have 7 different accounts on 7 different boards, and I'm aware of that problem. It sucks, because the Org or Giraffe are my top 2 candidates for a place to host it. But almost no one who is native to the board is going to be playing, it will be almost entirely off-boarders.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2015-01-17 at 06:21 PM.