1. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 5: It's canon. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    They kind of did, though, since the entire season was about non-Benders being rallied to civil war and how non-Benders had revolutionised the technology of the world. If there had been more episodes they might have been able to show us more of how non-Benders were viewing things, like the episode where hundreds of non-Benders were on the streets actively protesting, but we were kinda just stuck watching the events play out from Korra's perspective - and her perspective wasn't very revealing since she lived on Air Temple Island, nowhere near the non-Bending population, and focused on mastering Airbending, beating up militant Equalists and getting mixed up in love triangles.

Bolin was too good for her anyway. :'(
    So they succeeded... but didn't? In seriousness, though, the season only focuses on non-benders in the most technical sense in that only one antagonist is a bender... but said antagonist is also the main villain. Which kind of damages the season's claim of putting non-benders in the spotlight. I wouldn't say there's no difference between the Equalists and Ozai's or Kuvira's non-bending henchmen and henchwomen, but it's closer than it should be. Either way the only reason they got as far as they did was because a bender happened to agree with them. And in the end that bender's personal trauma and revenge are central to the conflict.

Especially since only Hiroshi got a motivation, out of all non-benders in the season - Equalist or otherwise. Like it's been discussed thoroughly, the issues that supposedly drove non-benders into the ranks of a terrorist organization led by a crazy bigot are left to our imagination. And they disband off-screen once Amon is exposed. Those that don't sign up for Amon's revolution are even more sidelined. We don't know what Asami thinks, or what Pema thinks. Or the Air Acolytes. Come to think of it, Mako and Bolin's parents were also killed by the notorious A. Firebender, and it's possible they weren't benders themselves. But it's not brought up.

Like you said, Korra is completely ill-equipped to actually consider the situation from their point of view, but it should have changed. Of course, there was no time - but to say that just shifts blame. It means the source of the problem might be external circumstances rather than writer incompetence (although if it was their idea to have such a short season, it doesn't), but the problem remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post

It is the 2nd problem that has yet to be properly discussed here after 4 books:

2) The Equalist perspective is obviously narrow, bigoted, conspiratorial and plainly wrong
    I wouldn't say it has yet to be properly discussed. People just talked a lot about how there's a dearth of viable reasons for so many non-benders joining the Equalists. Other than that, you're right, of course. We hardly got the Equalists' perspective at all, and the point of view of non-benders who hadn't joined the movement was absent.

The President's election that supposedly fixed all the problems was, to me, a quick and dirty way to have the first season have some consequence when they got to work on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Not that it makes up for having to sit through the thing in the first place, but it's about the most entertaining outcome for it that I can imagine when all's said and done.
    It doesn't, but it certainly makes watching their interaction in Season One with knowledge that they'll end up together very amusing.

Generally speaking, as awful as the love triangle was, I think they managed to turn it into something good, eventually. Not just because Korra and Asami ended up together, but because Korra and Mako's breakup was handled surprisingly maturely. They fell in love, but then they realized that it doesn't work. Things got awkward, but they moved past it and remained friends, with Mako promising that he'll have Korra's back no matter what. In a medium where people staying with their first crushes forever after is the norm, it's pretty refreshing and valuable.

Speaking of people staying with their crushes forever after, I find it very interesting that Aang and Katara's family evidently wasn't sunshine and roses. While it's obvious they both loved their children and meant the best for them, all three of them have issues through the roof. Tenzin is cracking under the weight of having an entire culture depending on him, Bumi has a crippling inferiority complex and Kya... Kya is a bit of a mystery. She seems to have taken to drifting as means of escaping the pressure of being the daughter of the Avatar and a Fire Lord-stomping war hero. It's a shame we didn't see more of it. As it is, Bumi's character arc leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-01-25 at 08:45 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.