View Single Post

Thread: Wizard / Sorcerer Hybrid

1. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard / Sorcerer Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Sorc does Area Damage and a little bit of control. Blaster Wizard does Area Damage and more control. Both Arcane power. Wizard wants INT, Sorcerer wants CHA and DEX (for a Storm or Wild build).

The main reason I want Sorc, specifically Wild Sorc, is because I'm having a hard time swallowing "He has the personality of a three year old child with a Red Bull addiction....and he's a focused scholar of magical knowledge." But at the end of the day, that's fluff and can be ignored.

"Sensible hybrid" is something on a contrdiction in terms; you're usually better not to hybrid. The only thing that makes this one plausible is that my DMs have an oddball way of generating stats, and I regularly sacrifice kittens to the Dice Gods.
    Just because he's highly learned doesn't mean it's scholarly high learning which lead to a prim and proper demeanor. Even taking the stock fluff leaves you with innumerable options.

A wizard could very easily be:

• an insane recluse, muttering nonsense to themselves, clawing pseudo-sensical runes into a cave, in response to over-exposure to the far realm during or post-training.
    • a shy, bookish librarian/historian, who tends to his scrolls and tomes and hardly notices the world pass by
    • A graduate of the Trickster Academy, with honors in phantom fart noises (ghost sound), illusory banana peels(mystical debris), and self-levitating water buckets (mage hand).

In other words, just because a wizard devotes his life to accumulating magical knowledge doesn't automatically mean he falls into the boring middle category, nor does it necessarily dictate the focus of the knowledge the wizard seeks, or the means with which he does his research.

In heroic, with your stats, there's not much of a drawback to hybriding, but there's really not a benefit either. Still, it's entirely up to you.
    Last edited by Sol; 2015-01-29 at 03:37 PM.