1. - Top - End - #143
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Lord of the Rings: Why all the Gandalf love?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I think the isildur and elrond thing is movie only.
    hamish beat me to it here.

But aside from that, first off, only the freaking hobbits showed any real resistance to the blandishments of the ring. Did sauron even know hobbits were a race that existed before his people tortured gollum?
    His torture of Gollum happened long before the Fellowship was formed, so this too points to a colossal stupidity on Sauron's part specifically. He should have taken one look at that thing, said "jesus, you had my ring how long? And you' didn't bring it to me or get yourself killed in all that time? You're clearly a dangerous people!"

Again, it's just abject failure to know his enemy.

Even with sam there, I really dont see sam hurling his beloved mister frodo into lava to destroy the ring.
    Shoving him, no - but going over the edge with him to save the world, tears in his eyes, sacrificing both of them - I could totally see Sam doing that.

The ring DOESNT just corrupt one person at a time. During the fellowship it was poking at frodo, boromir AND aragorn at various points. It not only corrupts the one wearing it, it whispers to everyone around it to come and claim it themselves.
    Sure, but the guy carrying/wearing it gets the brunt. Otherwise Sam and Elrond would also be "Man, you're so right, we should totally keep this thing and not go anywhere near the fire." And Boromir did fight it off, while the others (who had been around it just as long as he had) didn't even notice. If it can't corrupt bystanders equally to the guy carrying it, and doesn't help the guy carrying it fight off said bystanders, that's a critical design flaw.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-03 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)