Quote Originally Posted by Talar View Post
This really isn't a woe, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to look for if a girl is interested in me. A little background, I asked this girl to dinner, she said yes but that she was not ready for anything but still wanted to as friends. (I over thought this and came up with 3 possibilities, it was just a dinner as friends, its her way of letting me down easy, or her way of getting to know me/evaluating everything before moving on to anything). So the dinner happened, I enjoyed it very much. Now, I want to look back and try to determine what the deal is here. So if people can give me some simple advice as to what to look for to determine interest that would be great since I am horrible at reading people in general. I hope this makes sense. Hope everyone is doing well.
Simple answer? She's weird and doesn't seem to grok why not to take someone's suggestion for a romantic date and make it into a platonic outing (or just doesn't give a fig) but probably legitimate in being interested in you platonically. That, or it's possible she likes you to some extent or could grow to like you but is dealing with her own baggage to the point where you need to write that off as an impossibility until she says otherwise.

*shrug* I'd have told her that I wasn't comfortable going on what was intended as a date if it was going to be something else and that I'd much rather do something appropriate to the nature of the relationship that we can have as friends rather than the relationship I was interested in exploring as lovers or partners.

Now that it's happened... Determinedly refuse to read anything into it or that she does. If she starts obviously acting like she's changed her mind or overstepping physical boundaries, then if she's doing so in a way that makes you uncomfortable, tell her that and if she's doing in a way that makes you think she's coming onto you, tell her that as well and that if she's reconsidered her opinion, she should just tell you directly rather than playing any kind of games and if she's not intending to convey interest with her actions, would she kindly cut that out, then.