Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
Definitely. For me, it's proceeded to the point where I have problems telling about my everyday plights and highlights, because every story needs to be preceeded by an introductory lecture about compilers. And often even programming. There are only a handful people outside of my class who I even can tell a simple anecdote to, but luckily enough for me, dad is one of those people, so at least my stories aren't completely shut-in.
Yeah, a few times of having to explain large concepts while trying to explain some minutiae that's giving me trouble back home has really made me appreciate having techy roommates. (Physics/CS, and two former engineering students).

C is obsolete, the world just haven't realised that yet. Or as one of my friends put it in the CPython course: "It's not only easy, it's fun also!".

But on a serious note, C, while noteably old (especially if you're forced to stick to the C90 standard), is at least fairly stable as far as programming languages go. And my appreciation for it definitely rose as I had to do my first plunge into C++. My confusion on that front can be easily summarised in two words:

Spoiler
Show
So retro...

Yeah, C's really lightweight - there's very little overhead to the language, and I like that. Especially coming from C++.

I laughed way harder at this than I probably should have. I remember getting some really difficult to identify errors when I was learning how to manage all that stuff. Turned out I had left out a line or two out of my copy constructor (I want to say I forgot to allocate new memory somewhere). That took a long time to track down.

So you have to account for subpar manifacturing and quality assurance proceedures as well? Fun...
Well, more like accounting for the fact that physical connections aren't perfect. Edge-sensitive code for button or switch inputs that needs to take bounce into account, for example.

What could you possibly do with a microchips which doesn't require fixed/floating point operations? Count sheep?!
Digital input, digital output?

Although I've looked through the parts they're lending us for this class and found an accelerometer, so I'm confident we'll be needing floating point operations at least by the time we get around to using those.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
I don't suppose that would make this a bad time to stop in and say hi, would it?
Hey, haven't seen you in a while. How's things?
\refreshes thread, reads further
Moving away to college, eh? Going far, or staying near home? Or have you not figured out where you're going yet?

--
Previous thread stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
Having a tablet would be fun, I suppose, but I feel I'd be better off getting good at what I have before I invest in something else.
True. I happen to have a tablet for unrelated reasons, and figured it'd be an interesting medium to dabble in. I can't say I've ever produced anything of noteworthy quality, but it's been fun to use all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
It's definitely not my favorite experience. Tried to go to sleep one night at 1, feeling that was relatively sane. Ended up unwillingly staying up until 6:30. Well, travel isn't something I'm capable of other than to a couple towns within a few miles. I'll try the exercise. And maybe get some sleeping medicine. The only reason I got fairly normal sleep last night was needing to go somewhere far enough away that I had to take motion sickness pills (dramamine for those that know meds).

Well I don't make a whole lot. Most of the time it's just hamburger helper but I can also make spaghetti and fettuccine alfredo from scratch now. I mentioned my first making of cornbread there. I can cook burgers, if that counts. Did that mexican burger idea that was told to me and I loved it. I can also do a couple things with eggs. Not a huge list but better than ramen and microwave. I'm sure there's more. I do know how to make stuffed mushrooms, but I haven't gotten the chance to try lately. And Food Network helps my knowledge grow. Well...and Epic Meal Time, though most would argue that I shouldn't get inspired from that. It got me back into a bacon mood. I want to cook the helper next month with a bacon shell over the top somehow. And maybe burgers stuffed with sauteed mushrooms? If that would work it could be fun, I've always liked burgers topped with mushroom.
True. My sleep schedule generally gets reset on the trip back here from home, which is nice for about a week and then it gets all dicked up again.
Woo, sedated sleep! Nice with painkillers, horrible with alcohol. I don’t think I remember ever using Dramamine, but I know it makes you drowsy. Did it leave you well-rested, or did you still feel like crap when you woke up?

Well, you make a lot more than I do, anyway. I do all my cooking at work and generally don’t care enough to do it at home.
And yes, burgers count. I wish we had a grill here; then I could make some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
I tend to like putting them in dungeons as an alternative to constant battles and trap areas. But they get completed pretty easily. But I'm steadily getting a little better. It's less puzzle or riddle, and more trial-and-error challenges with little error. A mystery? Part of the reason I haven't ran Call of Cthulhu yet, I try to put a mystery together and then just confused myself. Yeah...I'm bad with those too.

Also wow there are people quoting a lot. x.x SO many conversational things.
I find traditional puzzles are a little hard to do, because people either get them or they don’t… not that I haven’t used them before, but sparingly. My favorites are obstacles that aren’t necessarily combat where there is no right answer, per se, just many different manners of approaching it. Like a chasm, for example – do they climb down and back up the other side? Do they fly over? Do they jump? Look for another way around? Simple “puzzles” like that are fun on the DM side of the screen, because you get to watch the players come up with stuff on their own.

\grumbles about various things tangentially

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
I'm confused by how there's a they that's tedious. To my recollection, the limit definition of a derivative is one thing. You learn it and then you're done with it and maybe something related is on an exam. I guess there were other things involving limits possibly. Also the most tedious thing was definitely the module of financial maths I had to do in first year, though admittedly that was partly because it was taught by the most boring lecturer.
It’s a lot of work for incredibly boring results. There is no situation I can think of where I’d want to use that method instead of proper calculus shortcuts. Having to spend time studying for it on a test at all is more than annoying enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
This is true and I am also used to copy protection puzzles. And I am used to cheating copy protection puzzles. because you are not supposed to be able to rhink those thought on your own.

I am getting smoked with solder smoke for your amusement. It never went up my nose until you said it could. And then right the very next time I used it, smoke up my nose. Prop 65 Known to the State of California to cause cancer or reproductive harm smoke. Tea auctions will be safer.
Copy protection puzzles? What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
I don't know what hallucinogens brought us Tommy but I am glad they're no longer chic.
Knowing Townshend's history, I would suspect alcohol before hallucinogens... and all the hallucinogens I would suggest are still quite common.