1. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The most far-reaching bad descisions in RPG design?

the practice of giving 1 page of general GM advice at the start of a rulebook, and several chapters of system-specific mechanical minutia for GMs. are we trying to make things hard on the kid who picked up a few rulebooks to DM for some friends? a bad/ill-equiped DM kills a game like nothing else in the hobby, and there is almost zero effort made to educate and prepare new GMs. some may be lucky enough to get invited to a group with a good GM, but it took me about 2 years before I found a good GM(once one person is a good GM, it seems to spread to the rest of the group, witch is good).

[EDIT] I have before me a copy of the Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition Dungons Master's Guide. a $34.95, 222-page book providing "a wealth of advice to new and experienced dungeon masters".
    the book dedicates 17 pages to GMing fundamentals(counting some of debatable value), 112 pages of system-specific mechanical details such as encounter levels, 25-ish pages on what a campaign is and basic types, 38-ish pages on worldbuilding and a premade town and and adventure.
    we can do better. 17 pages of a 222-page book about GMing is pathetic.

(numbers come from a quick skim, may not be fully precise. sample was taken from the closest GMing-reladed book to my desk, witch happened to be this one)
    Last edited by the OOD; 2015-02-09 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Remember kids: a good thief can steal everything that isn't nailed down, on fire, part of the building, or trying to kill them. Skilled adventurers have been known to leave behind far less that that.
    LGBTitP
    Universal Decay by Deamoneye Publishing
    Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7.5th edition by Lawful Nice