1. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XX: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    What's the best/fastest way to get legendary creatures on the field in Standard right now?

Looking to build an all legendaries deck for FNM.
    Depends on which ones. If the answer is "the most possible and I don't care what they do," then Alesha, Who Smiles at Death and Yisan, the Wandering Bard are probably the two best ways to cheat legends onto the battlefield. Though based on what I just looked up of Legendary Creatures in Standard, the best way to put them into play seems to be to cast them.

There's actually quite a few legends that go pretty well with Alesha. Daghatar, Tymaret and King Macar are pretty decent creatures to be returning that are all in your colors, and Tymaret works pretty well with Athreos and Brimaz (though the mana is awful). Yisan also works with Alesha, and Tymaret is the only 2-mana Legendary Creature legal in Standard from what I can see so if you were to play Yisan you probably want some Tymaret action anyways.

Sidisi helps put creatures into your graveyard for Alesha and gives you food for Tymaret, though the mana requirements get pretty steep if you go that route. Tasigur is also a great choice; perhaps Sultai is just the way to go? Sultai gives you access to some pretty strong cards, and a lot of them use the graveyard. Besides those two there's also Pharika, and you get to just jam powerful creatures like Polukranos. Yisan fits into this deck okay, so long as you can find something worth playing at every CMC.

Just some ideas thrown out there. I assume you're attempting to make Heroes' Podium good, in which case having a large number of smaller legendaries might be best, which basically means you're priced into playing RB for Tymaret as he is the cheapest legal Legendary Creature. If you're playing Tymaret, I would probably play Alesha since the cards work pretty well together, and from there you basically transition into the Alesha deck I suggested above. There's a pretty wide variety of Legendary Creature effects to put together, though, if you look hard enough. I'd suggest looking at some stranger color combinations like Jund and Grixis, as that might give you a better combination of legends for whatever plan you attempt to enact.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So, my College is going to be holding a Kahns Draft in a few weeks, and I'm in charge of organizing it. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about how much time to budget for the event, potential pitfalls, and the like.

EDIT: I would go Ash Zealot or another two drop over Kargan dragonlord- I'd rather come out swinging that turn, and have extra effects now, than a bear with a mana sink ability (when you already have two one drops with mana sinks). 4 swords also feels like overkill for something that won't see play until turn 4 in an agro deck.
    If you expect a lot of first time drafters, enforce Zone Drafting rules. Each player has three zones there could possibly be a pack in: the "passed" zone, the "looking at" zone, and the "pick up" zone. Your "passed" zone is the next player's "pick up" zone and your "pick up" zone is the previous player's "passed" zone. Do not allow players to place a pack in a zone containing a pack. Ever. These rules will prevent mixups if you enforce them and make sure your players understand that if a pack is waiting, you can't pass your pack and you must hold onto it until then.

You don't have to be as strict as I sound, but getting packs mixed up is the most common way drafts get messed up in my experience and zone drafting avoids it completely. Just make sure everyone at the table at least understands and agrees to all of the same rules about drafting and you should probably be okay. Make sure you ask "does everyone know how to draft?" before you start opening packs, and make sure someone can clearly explain how to draft in case other people don't know how. I would try to avoid including strategic information on drafting unless someone asks for it; just describing the procedure should be enough, and telling people how to draft takes some of the exploration fun out of it.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-02-10 at 05:29 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC