Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
Snrk. Pfft. Excuse me, I'm just stifling laughter at that parenthesised statement. RTD just used the villains badly in different ways.
I groan whenever the Daleks or weeping angels show up now.

I never felt like the villains were completely wasted in RTD's era. When the Daleks showed up, they felt intimidating, they felt powerful, they felt like the f#@$ing Daleks. Even in bad episodes, the villains had a presence. They never felt like window dressing.

Stupid as the human-Dalek BS was, Tennant's response to them was bloody perfect. They always survive.

Moffat, on the other hand, throws villains at the screen without rhyme or reason and hopes something sticks. Why were the Weeping Angels at the town of Christmas? Why were the Cybermen, for that matter? The Daleks arguably needed to be there to kill off the church of the Papal Mainframe, but those nanite things that turn humans into Dalek-bots never affects Doc or Clara, and the lady in charge just throws it off without much fuss.

I can't think of any instance in which the show has explicitly contradicted its continuity, before or after the most recent regeneration. Feel free to present me with an argument otherwise.
In Matt Smith's final episode, they establish there is a truth field that entirely prevents one from lieing. Then he lies to a child that he has a plan. We know he's lieing because about 6 seconds later he says that he lied to him.

Same. Bloody. EPISODE!

They establish that the Silence are aliens that have manipulated humanity since 'the very beginning', and then it turns out they're actually confessional priests that showed up just in time to send humanity to the moon for some reason. And the Doctor is supposed to know this, but... when did he figure that out? Also, why aren't the silence being shot by all the human that come to confess? Did they actually forget Neil Armstrong and the Doctor was just BSing them? If the Silence are supposed to be confessional priests that are genetically modified, why can they shoot lightning out of their hands?

Why was River Song's ghost on Trenzalore when it's supposed to be in the library?

Why does the Doctor no longer die on Trenzalore if he's previously visited his own grave and altering all of time at once at it, making it a fixed point? Yeah, I get that they were never going to kill him, but at least last time he got out of such a trap they explained how.

The Doctor's sudden decision to use the copbot thing to fake his death worked great as a plot twist, but the entire episode before had been about him coming to accept his death. So... yeah. Character inconsistency~! Again, same episode.

This is a criticism I've never understood. The character is presented, she emotes, no part of her personality has ever struck me as inconsistent. Yet people keep throwing this criticism out, just like they always used to say David Tennant only had three differently facial expressions.
Because they're talking about writing, you're talking about the actress. The problem isn't inconsistency - the problem is that Clara has no clear identity of her own to be inconsistent. She's spunky, and she likes the Doctor. What else about her is established and remains consistent throughout Matt Smith's run with her? She goes from kind-hearted babysitter to military general to teacher, as dictated by whims of the plot, with no rhyme or reason.

I like Clara as a military general, sure. But that's not who she was last episode. Or the episode after. Heck, she was introduced as a hacker extraordinaire. The two both require intelligence, sure, but they're not interchangeable!

When have important people ever died consistently in Doctor Who? I mean, it depends how strictly you define important, but the implication of this statement is that you're considering Danny Pink, a character who was around for the whole series and given a bunch of stuff in promotional materials, thus effectively third billing after the Doctor and Clara, to be unimportant. At which point your definition of important is the central characters of the Doctor and the companion(s), and their deaths are always incredibly rare and notable.
Well, like I said, I actually stopped watching before Danny Pink showed up. For all I know he bucked the trend. I'll thank you not to assume s#@$ about what I mean. Especially when it contradicts what I've previously told ya

DW near the end of my time with it seemed averse to letting anyone die (or even get seriously hurt) let alone anyone we were supposed to care about. The result was that it was impossible to believe that anyone was in any danger.