View Single Post

Thread: What does WH40K mean to you?

1. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What does WH40K mean to you?

Honestly the Warhammer 40k setting needs a huge shake up at all levels. It's stale. Zombie stale. I just started a Tau army last year and I've already stopped pretty much without completing it. Oh sure for some fun to build and paint I'll buy something once a year or less but that's about it.

A year and a half ago I would have told you I loved it until Space Marines and the Imperium of man hit over saturation levels for me. Imperium army this, horus heresy that, imperium faction this, 80k space marines codexs, 70 human based rpg's later and I'm tapped out at it all. It was fun for a time, but the setting changes so little is there ANY need to play, explore, or experience it past the initial rush? Nope. It will always be 40k. No need to wonder what the status quo is because it will always be the same. Good old wake up at 5 in the morning Space Marine who checks in for work with his equally early Chaos Space Marine buddy at work to play some rock em sock em robots before hitting the usual work routine then going home arguing about who's favorite sport team is better. Both of them just hitting middle age and that sort of feeling irrelevant phase of life known as a mid life crisis.

That's what 40k means to me. This sort of weary feeling I get when an old geezer goes off on why his time was better or tells the exact same story for the 50th time.

I'm already feeling tired recanting these dreary thoughts.

I play maybe 3-5 games of table top a year with 99% of us using little scraps of paper as proxies. Works just as well for the sort of casual cheap game we want to play. We all have a few key models we really like but that's it really. Only one of us collects and paints a full army. Even Dawn of War 2 the best of the 40k games in a long time was bad. REALLY bad as a video game. Right now I've never felt Warhammer 40k is growing so close to irrelevance to the wider geek/nerd community. It's so stuck in its own microcosm with few new players coming in. It has come to resemble the very Imperium it depicts. Which is sad since it has so much potential.
    Last edited by Gamgee; 2015-02-20 at 04:33 AM.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-