Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
There's innumerable reasons why that might have happened. I've probably done that myself a number of times, for any number of reasons - too tired, too distracted, too shy, can't think of anything, just didn't feel like it...

My suggestion is to just go ahead and start a conversation with her.

Oh, derp, you already did. Well, honestly, that still pretty much applies. If they "liked" you after you messaged them, if it's been a while - like, days or a week or two, not hours (and especially not *minutes*, OKC twit who isn't here... Probably), you MIGHT be able to send a gentle reminder, IF you're careful. The trick is to eliminate any hint of entitlement - the fact is, she doesn't owe you her conversation - and if it helps assume she has a very pressing reason why she didn't respond that is none of your business. Ideally, look for a way to add to your previous message, like you totes just thought of it, or if there's some recent event that ties into their profile (e.g. If they say on the profile that they watch American Horror Story, ask if they heard about the guy who just got hit by a car and died).
Yarr, I try to assume that they've just put it off a bit (goodness knows I've done the same, time to time), or there's some external reason for things. It's a philosophy I try to apply on a broad basis, really; humans are hard-wired to assume objects outside ourself (including other people) are permanent fixtures: that guy is angry because he's just an angry sort of jerk, she's always depressed, etc. etc. I always try to work out a narrative for other people, e.g. sure he cut me off in traffic, but he's not really a jerk, he just had a super-rough day and didn't see me; she didn't tell me about the event until last minute because she was busy organizing things and just lost track. At the very least it keeps my blood pressure down! And more often than not, things prove to be one-offs rather than fixtures of personality.

Honestly, I just needed to vent a bit; using OKC as a rational, intelligent guy can be kinda frustrating, because I very much know and understand that all the ladies on the site are getting bombarded with noise and it's hard to cut through that. On the flipside... it's hard to cut through, and gets frustrating sometimes. My frustration gets directed at all the noise-makers, generally. Well, my rational frustration, anyway.