Quote Originally Posted by punchbeard View Post
Hi all,
I'm running into what may be a problem with the other players in my group. I'm playing as a half-orc barbarian, invulnerable rager. Optimizing is relatively straightforward. I haven't taken Power Attack yet for RP purposes, and now I've leveled up to take a new feat. Power Attack is the obvious choice, and with it, I would 1-hit KO most enemies. Sounds great, right?

Well, since I'm already earning most of the party's kills, the other players don't get as much time to shine. The rogue can't sneak attack anyone because I've already killed them. The caster puts up environmental visibility hazards that interfere with melee attackers. You get the picture. Nobody's complained about it upfront, but it shows when some of the other players get bored during combat.

So, rather than up my damage output, I was thinking of pulling back and building a more "cooperative" barbarian. Maybe invest in maneuvering and battlefield control techniques. Yes, I realize that it's counter-intuitive and inefficient, but it might make the game more fun for everyone. Is this a terrible idea? Assuming it's not a terrible idea, how would I do this?
My first response is the most important.

You're a fantastic player. This forum is full of people struggling to keep up or deal with rampaging players, and your alertness is toward the enjoyment of the other players before they even begin to complain. Every group needs more players like you.

1) The other characters will catch up, particularly the druids if they understand what the class can do. It sounds like they may not have a lot of experience because 3rd level casters/rogues with their +4 to hit and d6+2 damage ought to expect the barbarian to run riot with a simple raging +10 to hit and 2d6+10 damage. Hopefully the DM will create regular social and stealth challenges to put other classes in the spotlight.

2) Opening up your character's versatility is a good idea in general. If you're up for a totally different character direction and Tome of Battle is allowed in your campaign you might enjoy the 'wolf pack leader' role by taking some warblade and white raven abilities for the flanking and team tactic bonuses. (Iron Heart abilities dont hurt for keeping you alive either!) Alternatively, some Rage Mage could be fun - particularly as the bard is your only arcanist.