Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
so as a DM you would completely ban the feat versatile spellcaster? and ur priest? and sublime chord and any of the other classes that have been mentioned which are standard prestige classes that so happen to cast spells at a lower caster level naturally? you would only allow wizards clerics and sorcerers in your whole setting as spellcasters with the occasional druid?

i never want to play in one of your settings....
It's actually pretty realistic. The percentage of Ur-Priests and Sublime Chords in the world is going to be DRASTICALLY less than that of Sorcerers and Clerics. The majority of scrolls and wands would be crafted by the more common classes. If you wanted to buy a scroll from an Ur-Priest, I would ask you to explain how you found one, and convinced them to sell you a scroll. They aren't exactly a dime-a-dozen, especially in a world where not worshiping a god consigns you to an eternity of torment in the Abyss.

I mean, if the campaign was centered around them? Or your character WAS one? Absolutely. But in most settings, you're not going to find an Ur-Priest in your friendly neighborhood magic shop. You're going to find a Wizard.