Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
The impressionable children will settle for not being told in a cynical fashion that humanity is nothing special.
Back when I was one of them there impressionable children, I distinctly remember feeling insulted and patronized whenever people went around telling me I was special just for existing. Or that I was special because I could have done something, whether or not I actually did it.

If there is "little reason to separate ourselves in this regard," why may a man not kill his neighbour? If you say, "because humans are social animals" or somesuch, that merely places a hurdle to be crossed. Why may a clever man not kill his neighbour if he can get away with it?
Because humans think it is wrong for a man to kill his neighbor. For certain values of neighbor. This is a very straightforwards point; human morality is a thing made by humans to govern human actions. Ergo it is immoral if it goes against human morality.

(Well, human moralities; there's never been just one, and pretending otherwise is very dangerous.)