1. - Top - End - #142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What is the point of separation between Homo sapiens sapiens and other animals?

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I never understood this. Do most parents not actively try to instill a sense of right and wrong and good judgement from an early age? Am I really that special?
    You can try. My mum is the most stupidly honest and ethical person I know and if I were a bit less juvenile I'd probably admit that she's an amazing parent (and a single mother for half my life to boot). My brother inherited it from her. I picked up enough to be a more-or-less functional member of society instead of ending up in a mental institution or prison. My sister is still young enough that she hasn't grown out of her childish selfishness and she still constantly complains that things "aren't fair", ranging from me having a car (I paid nearly half the cost myself, and she's not anywhere near old enough to even get a permit anyway) to me getting a larger portion at dinner to my mother refusing to buy her a $1000 tablet PC on a whim.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    How old's the kid? How many siblings does the kid have? What are the parents like? Too many factors.

Combined with the admission of non-neurotypicality on the part of the speaker earlier in that post, we don't know how much of this is talking from their recollection of their personal past and how much is grounded in their perceptions and experiences of children at the anecdotal level and how much is grounded in scientific inquiry into the ability and moral reasoning of children.
    I'm thinking primarily little kids, ranging up to ~14 years old, depending on various factors. Once they get past the worst part of puberty and start the long slog of growing a proper prefrontal cortex they start to become real people.

I'm basing this in part on anecdotal observation of small children and primarily on my tween sister.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2015-03-15 at 06:41 PM.
    Jude P.