1. - Top - End - #145
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What is the point of separation between Homo sapiens sapiens and other animals?

Hoooo boy, this is where we're going now? Okay... I'm going to try to only say these three things on this subject:

1. There is nothing cynical about acknowledging the way things are, especially not when, as mentioned, honesty about reality is the necessary first step towards realising potential. Also, I don't think I've ever heard "but what will we tell the children?" used as a credible argument against anything ever.

2. Experiments have already found that certain monkeys have a very strong sense of fairness, so we know the foundations of morality are not an exclusively human thing.

3. Just because morality is subjective and evolved doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Subjective is not the same as arbitrary, and indeed the fact it's evolved (in both the biological and social sense) means it's almost certainly not arbitrary and rather serves some very important purposes. Beauty and love are subjective products of evolution too, but few but the most hard-line abstract-thinking nihilists and pragmatists would claim those are arbitrary and meaningless.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2015-03-16 at 02:19 AM.