1. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne: Seven Days to the Grave [IC]

Alpha takes his card. From a gambler's standpoint, it is a 5 of Diamonds. Harrow-wise, it is from the suit of shields, and this time it is the picture of a grizzled man in rustic garb and a walking stick standing on a mountain.

"The Mountain Man. This signifies an encounter with a physical power outside of one's control. This giant could personify an authority, an army, an earthquake ... just about anything that appears to be a monolithic problem. Acceding to the force might be wise, but surviving it is paramount. I can tell from your impulsive nature that this card ... suits ... you."

It is Omega's turn. The card he pulls is a 5 of Spades. It is the third Shield card in a row. In this, an emaciated man lies in a bed in what is obviously a hospital ward. "The Sickness," says Zellara quietly. "This card represents plague, pestilence, famine, and disease. It can also indicate corruption of the soul or of a multitude of souls. This is an ill card, but The Sickness might indicated a chance to stop such a disaster. I believe you have the lack of complication in your morals to be able to meet what challenge lies ahead without fear."

Delta is next, and likely respectful buy cheery, but as with his other two fellows is quiet. "The Survivor," she says, drawing a 5 of Hearts, which is yet another Shield card. The picture is that of a mixture of fallen men and monsters. The man is on his knees, holding his sword up but with point down, and gives the sense that he is not praying, but recovering from a massive battle. "This represents a person who has been through an ordeal of some kind. Surrounded by his fallen comrades, the man represents someone or something thought lost forever, but found once more. It can also represent rebirth."

She looks up to Delta again. "Normally a good card ... if you work alone. Not so good if you have friends."

Delta gestures to Gamma, who grabs the next one, which is a Jack of Spades, and has the Harrow suit of ... you guessed it ... the Shield. The picture is that of a woman holding her ears, mouth open in a scream, and a poor form of drawing that makes it somewhat spiral. Vellara sighs and looks at the card for several seconds, then at Gamma. "I am sorry, warrior and healer of Iomedae, for this is the Waxworks, and represents everything you would despise. The Waxworks is a place of helplessness and physical entropy. The mind might be willing, but the flesh is frozen in this place of horror. It is also the card of torture and imprisonment, signifying literal inability to move or a paralysis of a more prosaic kind. But show the valor known your faith, for this card might also indicate an abundance of energy at a crucial moment that changes all."

Beta, the sixth to draw, takes his without comment of word or expression. It is a 5 of Clubs, and of course is of the Shield suit. It is the picture of a coppery-red dwarf with flaming hair and beard, surrounded by enemies whose weapons break in attempting to strike him. "The Brass Dwarf," chuckles Zellara, "strange that the dwarf did not receive this one. This is a dwarf-like creature of hardened skin from another world .... known as an azer. He represents invulnerability to a current danger. Although others might fall, he remains hale and strong. But he is not quite the same as you may think you see of him in what you would see of yourself. He can also mean a failure or dark fate for you, which in turn might save all others around you from a greater danger."

The ghostly figure of Zellara looks around. "As you can see, all six of the cards thus far are Shield cards, and I would not doubt that the others are as well. The Shield cards all represent Health, Home, and Pain.

"Six of you have chosen - Paxre, and the five strangers. As I told you at the beginning, there are seven Chosen, and two cards are discarded. Where is the seventh of you?"

Ishani Dhatri gingerly comes forth to Zellara. "I must tell you, this strange magic is frowned upon by Abadar. But if by some twist of the Keeper's Key I have found myself here to be chosen, I accept it as my deepest honor."

He grabs a card ... or at least tries to. The instant his hand touches the card it discorporates, only to reform once Ishani tries again twice more. Three times he tried, and three times he is met with frustration.

Zellara smiles, and not with a mean "spirit." "Abadarian, you are the most powerful one in this room, for you know mysteries of your faith that the dwarf does not. Your heart is pure and kind, full of compassion; and to attempt to use natural healing herbs shows a way both to honor your faith by not forcing a mercenary action, but being able to prolong life in another. You, sir, are a good man. Sadly ... you are not the man. You are not the Seventh."

Disappointed, the priest goes back over to the child to tend to her with his infusion.

"Now," Zellara takes focus again. "Where is the seventh? For without he, she, or it ... the road that the fates are setting you upon may well crumble under your feet. With teeth and tail and a form most strange for any normal hero. Where is't? Show, or be shown."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-03-21 at 01:45 AM.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.