View Single Post

Thread: A Whole New Era (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A Whole New Era (PEACH)

Okay, so I've completed chapter 3, which include the seven races, starting ages/heights/weights and the random charts for those, alignment, and all the language information.
    Aside from the examples I've already posted (which I've since modified slightly), I've tweaked the ages/heights/weights of most of the races. Alignments are significantly less defined and specific in order to accommodate a much wider range of what characters of those alignments can and can't be without necessarily straightjacketing them.

Spoiler: Alignments
    Show
    Alignment
    A character's alignment represents a very broad generalization of a character's moral and ethical mentality. Moral characters can be good, neutral, or evil and ethical characters can be lawful, chaotic, or neutral in these two areas, leading to having nine separate alignments, including chaotic evil, chaotic good, chaotic neutral, lawful evil, lawful good, lawful neutral, neutral evil, neutral good, and true neutral. A character's moral stance largely reflects their view of the well-being of others and their inherent altruism. A character's ethical stance reflects a character's selfishness and respect for authority.

Chaotic Evil
    Characters of this alignment are driven to do what they want and how they want to do it with little to no regard to how the consequences of their actions affect others. Some chaotic evil characters may even be outwardly malicious and seek to purposefully do harm to others but most are selfish and lack respect for the well being of others. The result is a character that does what they want despite the consequences to others.

Chaotic Good
    Characters of this alignment are driven to be self-motivated and benefit themselves in a way that helps themselves and can help others in the process. Chaotic good characters can be motivated by the wants and needs of others, but generally see self-improvement as a way to set an example and benefit those close to them in the process. They are generally free spirited individualists that want to be a positive influence on others.

Chaotic Neutral
    Characters of this alignment are deterministic individualists first and last. Chaotic neutral characters generally respect the boundaries of others but tend to act with neither altruism nor malevolence unless it is in their more selfish interests. They generally just care to look out for themselves.

Lawful Evil
    Characters of this alignment are selfless and group-oriented but lack respect for any individual. Lawful evil characters tend toward authoritarianism in how they address others and expect to be addressed and that group is often pushed toward malevolent actions toward others. They generally prefer to have the order and protection of a group larger than themselves regardless of who they or their group steps on.

Lawful Neutral
    Characters of this alignment value order and tend to think in group-oriented terms. Lawful neutral characters respect the roles that others play but not necessarily to their benefit. They generally prefer to have and give the benefit of order and harmony.

Lawful Good
    Characters of this alignment value others more than they value themselves. Lawful good characters tend toward selflessness and a healthy respect for how others are treated. They generally want what's best for everyone without necessarily trouncing the freedom and respect of others.

Neutral Evil
    Characters of this alignment value the power they have over others, whether that power comes from themselves or from a part of the group they belong to. Neutral evil characters tend toward malicious actions toward those around them in whatever they do. They generally either want power at all costs or just work to exert power on others in a negative and harmful way.

Neutral Good
    Characters of this alignment value the power of others, whether it comes from their individual accomplishments or the group in which they are involved. Neutral good characters tend simply to seek to make the world a better place for themselves as much as others. They generally want to empower themselves and those around them to be a positive influence in the world.

True Neutral/Unaligned
    Characters of this alignment tend to value the power of objective or logical reason and generally won't hold any one or group of individuals above the other in regard to meeting their goals. They generally just do whatever seems like a good idea for themselves, others, or both in general but do so in a goal-oriented manner instead of a manner that necessarily benefits or harms others, though most will prefer to meet their goals in a way that is helpful one way or another but that isn't always the case. They generally just want to do accomplish a goal that is important to them or others or just live out their lives without making waves. Most non-player characters will fall under this alignment.

Characater ages have also been tweaked and there is a whole section on the effects of starting as a non-standard age, including starting as a child, young adult, middle age, old, or venerable character. The effects of old age is no longer a simple penalty to the physical stats and, perplexingly, a bonus to a character's mental stats. Instead, you gain a bonus feat for each age category above adulthood you are and you roll on a d20 chart to gain one or more penalties brought about by a character's advanced age.

This section now includes the language information that would normally be squirrelled away under the speak language or linguistics skill is now in the same section you use to select your starting languages (though now that I think about it, I should at least include a list of those languages under the linguistics skill, even if it doesn't have the same level of detail.)

I'm now completely free to work on the classes section later this week and, when I have the time, I'm going to spitball my ideas in regard to how the classes are balanced, should be balanced, and their roles in 3.5e versus what'll have to change in this version of the game both in general with all of the available classes and specifically in regard with the barbarian since that'll be my first target right after I finish entering the information about a character's hit dice.

Completing chapter three is an important milestone because I've now essentially recovered and remade all the information I had lost when my flash drive formatted last year in addition to actually being more progressed due to starting at a different point and then going back to rewrite what I had lost. Everything I do from this point is moving forward with this project instead of rebuilding what I had lost. The file I'm writing all this on is now 140 pages long with over 108 thousand characters long and I still have classes, feats, spells, equipment, and magic items to work on. I'm anticipating the final result to be about as long as the pathfinder core rulebook, all things considered.
    Last edited by Neoxenok; 2015-03-31 at 01:57 PM.
    Currently working on Finding the Path in the Forgotten Realms as a massive conversion of the forgotten realms campaign setting (circa 3.5 edition and prior) into pathfinder 1st edition (as I've no interest in 2nd edition).

Please, if you have an opinion, feel free to meander over to my thread in the link above and post a comment. Thank you.