Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
They're giant faces that appear in equally giant clouds. "Bard" is not a word I would use to describe them. What thoughts were you looking for, specifically?
Thanks for the info! The bard thing... without knowing their background, they look a lot like chatty gossip hounds that like people and can know anything, sort of like bardic knowledge, only better. With their background, they look a lot more ominous.

I've used the Beastlands in my game already, and by happy chance I haven't contradicted the flight ban despite not realizing that was a thing at the time. However, I'm looking ahead and I'm going to be hiding plot elements on moons in the plane's sky. I want to introduce the Mortai, then have them be offended that the PCs will be in their sky and get in their way. I also want to misdirect the players, so that they might try for the visible moons on the night level when they really need to find a non-visible moon on the day level. In that case, if the Mortai communicate with each other from different levels (through magic or travel) the locals might be forewarned.

What I'm looking for in particular are ideas about what they can do to tap into and extend the Beastland's natural flight ban to natural fliers, and perhaps augment it to a dimensional lock for a more harrowing experience. At the very least the players can be followed up for five miles of ligtning strikes.

I don't know, should I just go with the 'perhaps they're quasi deity's' idea? In your Beastland description, air and weather magic is banned, but presumably not for the Mortai, since that's their thing, so that might be a connection. Is there any Afrocannon surrounding these guys?